Become a School-based Big
Mentoring matches participate in a variety of activities, such as reading together, going to the school library, working on homework, and participating in group activities.
School-based mentoring is a facilitated one-to-one mentoring program for Bigs and Littles to meet weekly at a partner elementary or middle school location. This provides an exceptional learning opportunity for Littles and allows matches to work together to achieve educational goals. Bigs must be 18+ and out of high school, and commit to meeting with their Little once a week during the school year for at least one year. Matches work on homework, play games, and enjoy interactive activities together!
Bigs and Littles are matched based on similar interests, personalities, and experiences.
- A Big Brother is matched with a Little Brother in 1st through 8th grade.
- A Big Sister can be matched with either a Little Sister in 1st through 8th grade, or a Little Brother in 1st through 5th grade.
As a mentor, you will:
- Help a child develop positive attitudes towards school.
- Help a child achieve higher grades.
- Help boost a child's confidence and improve their relationships with peers.
- Receive ongoing professional support from a dedicated BBBS staff member.
Being a volunteer mentor is a rewarding, meaningful, and fun experience! Mentoring relationships have a huge impact; helping to increase a child’s educational expectations, attitudes towards risky behavior, and social skills.
Are you ready to take the next steps in changing a child’s life? Click the 'APPLY HERE' button below! With questions, please contact our Customer Relations Specialist at (414) 831-4563 or via email to outline the next steps including our formal application process.
Check out our FAQs here.