Child Safety and Youth Protection
Child safety and youth protection is the top priority of Big Brothers Big Sisters. We know that making the best quality match is critical to the growth and development of youth in our program. Before we begin the enrollment and matching process, we start by thoroughly screening all potential volunteer mentors. Big Brothers Big Sisters National Standards of Excellence require each volunteer to complete an extensive screening process that includes:
- A formal application
- Layered background checks including electronic media, driving records, criminal history, and other records that are required by local, state, or federal law for volunteers working with youth.
- Minimum of three positive references and references from other Youth Serving Organizations if applicable.
- Volunteer interview with a professional BBBS staff member
- Mandatory Volunteer Pre-match Training prior to being matched
- BBBS staff assessment and recommendation about whether the volunteer is safe to work with youth and is appropriate for our program
Big Brothers Big Sisters also provides child safety tips to you and your child, and we welcome your questions and feedback. Throughout the life of the match, our professional staff will be in ongoing communication with you, your child, and your child's Big. It’s the best way to build a strong relationship that will have the greatest impact on your child’s future success.